Sunday, September 25, 2011

Experimenting with Technique

In July I became a student again, at the Low Residency MFA in Illustration Program at the Hartford Art School. I came home full of inspiration. One of the things I wanted to focus on straight away was my technique. I have been working in watercolors for a long time, but I have been wanting to try something different. Not to change my style, but to mix up my way of working so that I feel more confident in my technique, even as I experiment. Below I outline some of the steps for a new process I am working on.

I begin with a solid drawing using a dark brown Verithin pencil on hotpress watercolor paper


Next, I seal it with a few coats of matte medium, and begin glazing over it with oils.

Finally, I go back in with the brown pencil to strengthen some of the line-work, and there you have it!

So far I am really enjoying working this way. It's fun to mix it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment